Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Virginia

>

2300 North Wilson Boulevard

>

Arlington Realty Building, 2300 North Wilson Boulevard, Arlington, VA



See 31 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1196503
BWPhotos 381600

HB1196504
BWPhotos 381601

HB1196505
BWPhotos 381602

HB1196506
BWPhotos 381603

HB1196507
BWPhotos 381604

HB1196508
BWPhotos 381605

HB1196509
BWPhotos 381606

HB1196510
BWPhotos 381607

HB1196511
BWPhotos 381608

HB1196512
BWPhotos 381609

HB1196513
BWPhotos 381610

HB1196514
BWPhotos 381611

HB1196515
BWPhotos 381612

HB1196516
BWPhotos 381613

HB1196517
BWPhotos 381614

HB1196518
BWPhotos 381615

HB1196519
BWPhotos 381616


Data Pages


Item Title


Location
2300 North Wilson Boulevard, VA

Find maps of 2300 North Wilson Boulevard, VA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS VA-1369
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N705).
Building/structure dates: 1955 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 2001 demolished
Significance: The headquarters building of the Navy League of the United States is representative of the commercial boom that characterized the Courtlands subdivision, now known as the Clarendon-Courthouse neighborhood, in Arlington County during the post-war years. A small-scale office building by today's standards, the three-story structure was erected for the Cafab Investment Corporation who then leased it to several local businesses in 1956. At that time, the building took its name from the principal lessee, that of the Arlington Realty Company. The steel frame and concrete construction of the Arlington Realty Building place it firmly in the modernist, twentieth-century building tradition; furthermore, its suspended ceilings, curtain walls, and air conditioning are features now standard in any commercial space. Moreover, the use of stone in the north and east front sections and of brick walls to the south does not detract from the modernist aesthetic. Instead, the flat, smooth surfaces enriched the Arlington Realty Building, giving it an appearance in keeping with the modernist, and reductionist, tenets of twentieth-century architecture. Without irony, the high-end and traditional Virginia building materials emphasize the different blocks of the building, expressing function through form and hierarchy of use in a rational, quite modern manner.

Subjects
Navies
Military Organizations
Office Buildings


Related Names
Cafab Investment Corporation
Arlington Realty Company
Navy League Of The United States
Mackall, Charles G.
Langley Land Company
John M. Walton & Associates
Rosenthal, James W., Photographer
Price, Virginia B., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to 2300 North Wilson Boulevard, Virginia