201 East High Street>
Minor-Nelson House, 201 East High Street, Charlottesville, VA
See 16 maps of this location
201 East High Street, VA
Find maps of 201 East High Street, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-1366
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N650; N704).
Building/structure dates: 1830 initial construction
Significance: Built between 1830 and 1840, the Minor-Nelson House reflects the survival of Georgian forms well into the nineteenth century. The house changed hands and functions several times in the middle of that century. It was originally built as a private home for Martha Minor. Before the Civil War it was used as a private school and during the war it served as part of the Charlottesville General Hospital. In 1892, Dr. Hugh T. Nelson purchased the building and used it as his medical office. Though owners changed, the house served the same function until 1971. The Minor-Nelson is presently an antique shop owned by Stedman House, Inc.
Nelson, Dr. Hugh T.
Stedman House, Incorporated
Gilmour, Juliette F., Delineator
Sottile, Scott J., Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to 201 East High Street, Virginia