151 Bernard Road>
Fort Monroe, Quarters No. 1, 151 Bernard Road, Hampton, VA
Photo Caption Pages
Quarters No. 1, 151 Bernard Road, VA
Find maps of 151 Bernard Road, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-595-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N68).
National Register Number: 66000912
Significance: The DeRussy House was the first permanent officer's quarters constructed at the army post. Although built for the commanding officer, the fort construction engineer was the first occupant. Quarters #1 was the site of numerous strategy and defense meeting and has hosted numerous visiting dignitaries. Its proportions and detailing make the DeRussy House one of the most attractive buildings on post and the residence contributes to the definition of the Parade Ground.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH FRONT ELEVATION
2. VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST OF WEST END
3. ELEVATION OF EAST WING FROM SOUTH
4. GENERAL VIEW FROM THE EAST
5. VIEW OF STAIR AND HALL, FIRST FLOOR, FROM SOUTH
6. VIEW OF STAIR LANDING, SHOWS WINDOW WITH FLANKING NICHES, STAIRRAIL, ETC. FROM FIRST FLOOR
7. VIEW FROM FIRST FLOOR TO SECOND FLOOR, UP TO RECESSED HALLWAY DOME IN CEILING.
8. DETAIL VIEW OF HALLWAY DOME
9. VIEW LOOKING WEST OF 'LINCOLN ROOM' SHOWING FIREPLACE AND MANTLE. FIRST FLOOR, WEST ROOM, WEST WALL, WITH SCALE. NOTE CABINETS TO THE RIGHT.
10. VIEW LOOKING WEST OF 'LINCOLN ROOM' SHOWING FIREPLACE AND MANTLE. FIRST FLOOR, WEST ROOM, WEST WALL. NOTE CABINETS TO RIGHT.
11. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF 'LINCOLN ROOM' SHOWING FIREPLACE AND MANTLE. FIRST FLOOR, WEST ROOM, WEST WALL. NOTE CABINETS TO THE RIGHT.
12. DETAIL OF PILASTER/DOOR SURROUND, FIRST FLOOR HALL, NORTH SIDE OF WEST DOOR.
13. DETAIL OF PILASTER/DOOR SURROUND, FIRST FLOOR HALL, NORTH SIDE OF WEST DOOR, WITH SCALE
Back to 151 Bernard Road, Virginia