101 Palace Green Street>
George Wythe House, 101 Palace Green Street, Williamsburg, VA
See 18 maps of this location
101 Palace Green Street, VA
Find maps of 101 Palace Green Street, VA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS VA-1009
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-217).
Building/structure dates: 1754 initial construction
National Register Number: 70000866
Significance: Richard Taliaferro built the Wythe House between 1752 and 1754. He was a planter, designer, architect as well as a builder of "undertaker." In 1755 George Wythe married Taliaferro's daughter, Elizabeth, and probably occupied the house at that time. Wythe became a distinguished lawyer, legislator, teacher, and signer of the Declaration of Independence. The house is among the best examples of Tidewater Virginia residential architecture of the Georgian period. Its uncommonly handsome elevations, sophisticated brickwork, and simple wood details evidence a strict set of geometrical relationships carefully worked out. The Wythe House is owned by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, which restored it in 1940.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to 101 Palace Green Street, Virginia