Floor of the Valley Road, Cable Creek Bridge, Spanning Cable Creek on Floor of Valley, Springdale, Washington County, UT
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Cable Creek on Floor of Valley, Springdale vicinity, UT
Find maps of Springdale, UT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER UT-73-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N204).
Building/structure dates: 1931 initial construction
Significance: Located near the site of the Cable Mountain Draw Works, a device used to transport lumber down the cliffs, Cable Creek Bridge carries Zion Canyon Scenic Drive along its route to the Temple of Sinawava. This span was constructed as part of a 1932 realignment of the Government Road, which was completed in 1925 (remains of this road can be seen southeast of the bridge). The scenic drive, previously known as Floor of the Valley Road, allows vehicular access to trailheads for such wonders as Angels Landing, Weeping Rock and The Narrows. Cable Creek Bridge is a skewed, single-span reinforced-concrete T-beam deck bridge, consisting of 5 longitudinal beams. Stone wing walls and abutments support the 35-foot clear span. The roadway, tinted with a red chip seal, is 20 feet wide with two sidewalks 3 feet wide each. Timber posts and rails, altered only slightly form the original rustic styling, flank each sidewalk and harmonize with the wooded landscape of the site. A bridle path with stone retaining walls, apparently abandoned at present, was built under the bridge along the creek.
Reinforced Concrete Construction
Grogan, Brian C., Photographer
Culberson, Laura J., Delineator
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Springdale vicinity, Utah