Arches National Park Main Entrance Road, Beginning at U.S. Highway 191, approximately 6 mil, Moab, Utah County, UT
See 18 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
approximately 6 mil, Moab Vicinity, UT
Find maps of Moab Vicinity, UT
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER UT-70
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N67).
Building/structure dates: 1941 initial construction
Significance: Planned during the 1940s, the Main Entrance Road utilized standards of design developed cooperatively between the National Park Service and the Bureau of Public Roads, minimizing negative impact on the natural features while allowing visitor access to previously inaccessible areas of the park.
"Mission 66" Program
Civilian Conservation Corps
Strong Construction Company
Roosevelt, Pres. Franklin Delano
Johnson, Pres. Lyndon B.
Nixon, Pres. Richard
French, Christine Madrid, Historian
Grogan, Brian C., Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. SIGN AT MAIN ENTRANCE, FACING WEST
2. VIEW OF VISITOR CENTER AND PARKING AREA AT MAIN ENTRANCE, FACING EAST
3. VIEW FROM MAIN ENTRANCE ROAD SWITCHBACKS FACING EAST. UTAH HIGHWAY 191 VISIBLE AT RIGHT, PARK MAINTENANCE FACILITY IN FOREGROUND.
4. VIEW OF SOUTH PARK AVENUE TRAILHEAD PARKING AREA FACING EAST.
5. VIEW OF NORTH PARK AVENUE TRAILHEAD PARKING AREA FACING SOUTHEAST.
6. VIEW OF MAIN ENTRANCE ROAD FACING SOUTH. SPUR ROAD TO WINDOWS SECTION AT LEFT, BALANCED ROCK NEAR CENTER OF PHOTO.
7. VIEW OF OLD ENTRANCE ROAD (NOW WILLOW FLATS ROAD) FACING EAST INTO PARK.
Back to Moab Vicinity, Utah