Cavitt House & Log Cabin, Wheelock, Robertson County, TX
Find maps of Wheelock, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-270
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-154).
Significance: The ante-bellum Cavitt Mansion was built by Ann Cavitt and her family on 300 acres of the Sterling Robertson Grant near the town of Wheelock. The house was designed by a Mr. Charleton, a New England architect, who was traveling through the area. Construction began in 1845 and was completed in 1854. The three-story mansion contained eleven rooms. Woodwork, cornices, balustrades and mantlepieces were hand carved of cypress and pine. Door latches, hinges and square nails as well as the glass for the windows were made on site. The six fireplaces were fashioned of pink brick and ironstone. The house served as a staging point on the Old Spanish Road, linking San Antonio with Nacogdoches. Among the prominent visitors was Sam Houston, a longtime friend of the Cavitt Family. Adjacent to the mansion is the two-story cedar log cabin built in 1836 by the Cavitt family slaves. The cabin has a lower room with a fireplace and an upper sleeping loft. The cabin was protected by a series of gunports...
Davidson, James, Delineator
Seavitt, Denise, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Wheelock, Texas