Iglesia de San Elceario, South side of San Elizario Plaza, San Elizario, El Paso County, TX
Photo Caption Pages
South side of San Elizario Plaza, San Elizario, TX
Find maps of San Elizario, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-3106
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-132, FN-133, FN-134, FN-135, FN-136, FN-137, FN).
Building/structure dates: 1877 initial construction
Significance: The church dominates the village of San Elizario as did its predecessor, the chapel of the Spanish Presidio de San Elceario. The first chapel on the site would have been erected soon after the victim of both neglect and flooding of the Rio Grande during the early nineteenth century. By 1846 when American Army occupied the former Presidio the chapel was in ruins. A new chapel was begun in 1853, but may have been inadequate since the present structure was begun in 1877. The latest church building survives virtually intact on the exterior despite numerous changes to the interior.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marvin Eickenroht, Photographer May 25, 1936 WEST ELEVATION (FRONT).
2. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marvin Eickenroht, Photographer May 25, 1936 SOUTHWEST ELEVATION (WEST FRONT AND SOUTH SIDE).
3. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marvin Eickenroht, Photographer May 25, 1936 SOUTHEAST ELEVATION (SOUTH SIDE AND EAST REAR).
4. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marvin Eickenroht, Photographer May 25, 1936 DETAIL OF FRONT (WEST ELEVATION).
6. north (front) facade
7. perspective view of north (front) elevation
8. north and west facades
9. north and east facades
10. east elevation
11. west facade
12. south (rear) elevation
13. interior view looking south to altar from rear balcony
14. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF NORTH (FRONT)
15. NORTH AND WEST FACADES
16. NORTH AND EAST FACADES
17. INTERIOR VIEW LOOKING SOUTH TO ALTAR FROM REAR BALCONY
Back to San Elizario, Texas