San Antonio River Walk, 418 Villita Street, San Antonio, Bexar County, TX
418 Villita Street, San Antonio, TX
Find maps of San Antonio, TX
Documentation compiled after 2000.
Survey number HALS TX-1
Building/structure dates: 1938 initial construction
Significance: Its Native American name was Yanaguana, which means "refreshing waters," but the San Antonio River (as a Spanish priest named it in 1691) has not always been so appreciated. Its infrequent, but extensive flooding created dangerous conditions for downtown San Antonio. Still, it was the site of 5 Spanish missions from San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) to Mission Espada, about 6 miles to the south. By the early 1900s it was little more than a trash-ridden stream along the rear of commercial buildings. In 1919, a study proposed covering over many of the river's bends with pavement, among other actions to prevent flooding. After a particularly deadly flood in 1921, many citizens wanted to implement the flood prevention recommendations of the study...
Hugman, Robert H.H.
Santiago, Felicia, Delineator
Aikin, Hannah, Delineator
Hagos, Ermias, Delineator
Historic American Landscape Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to San Antonio, Texas