Point Bolivar Lighthouse, West of Loop 108 on Highway 87, Bolivar Peninsula, Port Bolivar, Galveston County, TX
Bolivar Peninsula, Port Bolivar, TX
Find maps of Port Bolivar, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-3517
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N809).
Building/structure dates: 1872 initial construction
Significance: Point Bolivar Lighthouse is located 1/4 mile west of Loop 108 on Highway 87 in Galveston County. Built in 1872, it is one of only two cast iron beacons that still exist on the Texas Gulf Cost. The lighthouse is important to the commercial, cultural and political history of the region. Now in private hands, the lighthouse and various outbuildings occupy about two acres of land on Bolivar peninsula. It is the most prominent structure one sees coming across the three-mile pass from Galveston Island, rising 117 feet above sea level...
Bailey & Debevoise
Boyt, E. V.
U.S. Lighthouse Service
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Port Bolivar, Texas