Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Texas > Paloduro > J A Ranch Headquarters, Paloduro, Armstrong County, TX



Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Paloduro, TX

Find maps of Paloduro, TX


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS TX-3530
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N1107).
Building/structure dates: 1878 initial construction
0.2007
Significance: The JA Ranch is the oldest, continuously operated ranch in the Texas Panhandle. From its founding in 1876 by Charles Goodnight (1836-1929), the ranch has experienced periods of great expansion and subsequent periods of downsizing. During the late nineteenth century when British investment in American ranches peaked, the JA was one of the most notable examples of European capital investment melding with American frontier knowledge. The JAs founding and growth occurred during the open range era, adapted to the closed range era, and finally emerged into the modern era of the cattle industry. Furthermore, the sustained existence of the ranch is remarkable considering the environmental harshness of the Palo Duro country as annual precipitation rates are low, average annual temperatures are extreme, and available grazing lands are sparse.

Subjects
Cattle Ranches


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
Historic Marker


Back to Paloduro, Texas