Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Texas

>

Hackberry

>

Neuhaus Complex, State Highway 532 & Conty Road 219, Hackberry, Lavaca County, TX



Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
State Highway 532 & Conty Road 219, Hackberry, TX

Find maps of Hackberry, TX


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS TX-3388
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-207).
0.1992
Significance: The Neuhaud Complex, constructed between 1847 and 1881, consists of three primary structures built for the Neuhaus family. Ledwig Eduard Neuhaus immigrated to Lavaca County, Texas, from Ellerburg, Germany, in 1846 founding the settlement he later nicknamed Hackberry. He constructed a two-story fachwerk structure of oak timbers with brick in-fill between 1850 and 1852, which accommodated his family residence and mercantile business. A two-story stone structure was added around the end of the Civil War when business expanded.

Related Names
Gardea, H., Delineator
Griesbach, M., Delineator
Dilly, M., Delineator
Rodda, M., Delineator
Childs, Q., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Hackberry, Texas