Charles Goodnight Ranch House, Goodnight, Armstrong County, TX
Find maps of Goodnight, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-3529
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N1106).
Building/structure dates: 1887 initial construction
Significance: Goodnight established the first Texas Panhandle ranch in 1876, which today is known as the JA Ranch. He lived at the JA with his wife Mary from 1879-1888. He sold his interest in the JA to Mrs. Cornelia Adair and bought the ranch at Goodnight, the town being named for him. He and his wife established Goodnight College in 1898 and it operated until 1917. Goodnight remained the dominant force in the community until his death in 1929...
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Goodnight, Texas