David Nichols McBride House, McBride Canyon, Fritch, Potter County, TX
See 11 maps of this location
McBride Canyon, Fritch vicinity, TX
Find maps of Fritch, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-3515
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N807).
Building/structure dates: 1904 initial construction
Significance: David Nichols McBride and his wife Abigail, moved with their family into McBride Canyon on June 10, 1897. On November 11, 1897, he filed in Potter County for sections 98, 100, 102, and 104. These were two miles long and half a mile wide, and he had to pay $1 and acre except for the homestead that was $3 and acre on a 40-year loan at 3% interest. The first of several houses on this property was a frame house near where the present Bates boat ramp is located, but in 1904 he completed the Rock House that has been constructed in McBride Canyon. In addition to this house, there was a one car garage and storage area, a bunkhouse for the boys, and a corral which was located downstream from the house...
McBride, David Nichols
Bureau Of Reclamation
Cooper, Tammy, Delineator
Geirsch, Guy R., Delineator
Spurgin, Kristofer, Delineator
Lindsey, Gary, Historian
Geirsch, Guy R., Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Fritch vicinity, Texas