Fair Park, Coliseum, Perry & Second Avenues, Dallas, Dallas County, TX
Perry & Second Avenues, Dallas, TX
Find maps of Dallas, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-3336-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-203).
Building/structure dates: 1910 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1936 subsequent work
National Register Number: 86003488
Significance: The Hall of Administration was built in 1910 as the State Fair Coliseum. The 800-seat Coliseum was designed by James Flanders in the Spanish Romanesque style. The building was remodeled for the 1936 Texas Centennial Exposition by the Centennial Corporation (George Dahl and staff). At that time the building contained the Exposition offices, including the architectural staff offices, and a public information lobby. The building is currently used for maintenance equipment and storage. The statue in front of the south elevation is titled "The Spirit of the Centennial," and was designed by Raoul Josset and executed by Jose Martin. The mural behind the statue was designed by Carlo Caimpaglia.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Dallas, Texas