F. A. Brown Farmstead, 4611 Kelton, Dallas, Dallas County, TX
See 12 maps of this location
4611 Kelton, Dallas, TX
Find maps of Dallas, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-3387
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-208).
Building/structure dates: 1881 initial construction
Significance: The F. A. Brown Farm, located originally outside the city of Dallas, Texas; has gone through the transformation from being a rural dairy farm to that of a small half acre farmstead inside the city. The farmstead, designated a Texas State Historic Landmark in 1976, was built on land originally deeded to Calvin Cole through a Peters Colony headright in 1854. In 1881 WIlliam H. and Ellen Price Stewart built a house on the land for $2,000. Francis Asbury Brown purchased the 200 acre property in 1885 and the farm stayed in the family for over 100 years, though pieces have been sold off during the years leaving the existing farmstead and its current half acre site.
Historic Preservation League-Dallas
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Dallas, Texas