Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Texas

>

Castolon

>

Castolon, Route 5, Castolon, Brewster County, TX



See 12 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title
Castolon, Route 5, Castolon, Brewster County, TX

Location
Route 5, Castolon, TX

Find maps of Castolon, TX


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS TX-3312
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-196; N453).
Building/structure dates: 1920 initial construction
Field notes contain measured drawings & photos of the guardhouse for which no formal documentation was submitted.

0.1999
Significance: The Castolon Historic District is located on the Rio Grande River within the Big Bend National Park at the junction of automobile routes No. 5, 9, & 35. The Castolon Historic District includes both "Old Castolon", called Santa Helena, Texas, until 1914, and the "Castolon Army Compound", originally Camp Santa Helena. Castolon is located beneath Cerro Castellan, now Waren Peak, from which it took its name. The rolling hill country on the United States side of the Rio Grande River, below the Santa Elena Canyon, had long been used as a major indian ford. The area had been identified as clearly favorable for the establishment of a military post as early as 1852. Planned to protect the United States from the attacks resulting from the severe border tensions which had developed between the United States and Mexico following the Mexican Revolution and World War I, the need for the compound had already greatly diminished by the time of its completion in 1920. The attacks had taken the form of raids by notorious Mexican bandits who took refuge in the rough hill country on the Mexican side of the border. These attacks lasted well into 1919, the year land was leased from Howard E. Perry and W. R. Cartledge to build a permanent camp. Fewer building were built than were planned. The compound was completed in 1920 and by 1921 ranchers and farmers returned.

Subjects
Farming
Military Facilities
Military Headquarters


Related Names
Perry, Howard E.
Cartledge, W. R.
Camp Santa Helena
Balachowski, Joseph, Field Team
Mathis, Pamela, Field Team
Lister, Douglas, Field Team
Wininsky, Daniel J., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Castolon, Texas