Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Texas

>

Castolon

>

Castolon, Enlisted Men's Barracks-Store, Route 5, Castolon, Brewster County, TX



See 12 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Route 5, Castolon, TX

Find maps of Castolon, TX


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS TX-3312-B
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-199; N455).
Building/structure dates: 1920 initial construction
0.1999
Significance: The barracks were completed about 1920, and included the store, a major local trading post. The first store in the Costolon area was begun in 1903 and had been located in the east end of the Alvino House. This enterprise was later moved to the "Old Castolon Store", and finally, under the partnership of R. W. Cartledge and Howard E. Perry, to the Barracks Building. It is still operated by the National Park Service.

Subjects
Commerce
Adobe Buildings
Barracks


Related Names
Perry, Howard E.
Cartledge, W. R.
Wininsky, Dan, Delineator
Mathis, Pamela, Delineator
Lister, Doug, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Castolon, Texas