Castolon, Alvino House, Route 5, Castolon, Brewster County, TX
See 12 maps of this location
Route 5, Castolon, TX
Find maps of Castolon, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-3312-C
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-197).
Building/structure dates: 1903 initial construction
Significance: The Alvino House is probably one of the oldest structures in the park, dating form ca. 1903. It is located at the base of the bluff on which the other structures are situated, however, it is not part of the general scene of the army compound. The Alvino House was the first store in the Castolon area and was run by the first resident Cipriano Hernandez in the east end of the house.
Perry, Howard E.
Cartledge, W. R.
Balachowski, Joseph, Delineator
Lister, Douglas, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Castolon, Texas