Burton Farmer's Gin, Main Street, Burton, Washington County, TX
See 11 maps of this location
Main Street, Burton, TX
Find maps of Burton, TX
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TX-3365
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-213, FN-214).
Building/structure dates: 1914 initial construction
Significance: In 1913 Burton, Texas, population 500, had an economy primarily dependent on ranching and farming, with cotton as one of the major crops. Although two gins were already in the area, the Burton Farmers Gin Association was organized, and in 1914 a two story metal-clad gin was built at a cost of $11,835.10. From 1914 to 1949 the gin also had a gristmill to grind corn, a hammer mill to grind light weight feed and a letz mill to grind heavy feed. The gin machinery was powered by a steam engine until 1925, when a bessemer 125 h.p. type a crude oil engine was purchased and used until 1982, when an electric allis chalmers motor replaced it...
Operation Restoration, Incorporated
Brown, Bob, Delineator
Camp, Robin, Delineator
Homeyer, Paul, Delineator
Hur, Joo Young, Delineator
Liew, Tony, Delineator
Moon, Sandra, Delineator
Peterson, Kristin, Delineator
Wagner, Henry, Delineator
White, Harriet, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Burton, Texas