Isaac Franklin House, U.S. Route 25 East, White Pine, Jefferson County, TN
Photo Caption Pages
U.S. Route 25 East, White Pine, TN
Find maps of White Pine, TN
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TN-197
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-47).
National Register Number: 75002162
Significance: The house, one of the largest and most elegant ante-bellum houses in east Tennessee, was built about 1840 by Lawson Franklin as a wedding present for his son Isaac Franklink when he married Annis Kyle. The house overlooked the French Broad River, now a lake, and they called the place "Riverview." The house was in very poor condition in 1953 when it was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas H. Berry who restored it and renamed it "Fairfax."
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW SHOWING WEST FRONT OF HOUSE AND ENVIRONS
2. WEST FRONT AND SOUTH SIDE
3. WEST FRONT
4. SOUTH SIDE AND EAST REAR
5. SOUTH SIDE
6. NORTH SIDE
7. KITCHEN, NORTH END OF EAST REAR SIDE
8. VIEW SHOWING SCENIC COUNTRYSIDE FROM HOUSE, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
9. DETAIL SHOWING STAIRWAY IN CENTRAL HALL, FIRST FLOOR, LOOKING EAST
10. DETAIL OF CIRCULAR STAIRS LOOKING UP FROM FIRST FLOOR
11. DETAIL OF NEWEL POST OF CENTER HALL STAIRS
Back to White Pine, Tennessee