Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Tennessee

>

Sulphur+Springs

>

Sulphur Springs Methodist Campground, Sulphur Springs Road (Sulphur Springs), Sulphur Springs, Washington County, TN



B&W Photos

HB1085597
General View From West Showing Northwest And Southwest Sides

HB1085598
General View From South Showing Southwest And Southeast Sides And Clerestory Arrangement

HB1085599
Northwest Front And Southwest Side

HB1085600
Northwest Enclosed (front) End Of Meetinghouse

HB1085601
Detail Of Seating As Seen From Front (platform) Area Of Meetinghouse

HB1085602
Detail Showing Front (platform) Area And Benches, West Corner Of Meetinghouse

HB1085603
General View Of Interior Of Meetinghouse From Southeast Showing Clerestory Arrangement And Support System


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Sulphur Springs Road (Sulphur Springs), Sulphur+Springs, TN

Find maps of Sulphur+Springs, TN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS TN-209
Significance: Sulphur Springs Methodist Campground was founded following the Great Revival of 1800. First meeting here may have been as early as 1815. In 1842 temporary brush arbors were abandoned for a more permanent structural complex. The present shed as well as the other buildings (now extinct) were reconstructed with the same materials in 1900. The religious and social phenomenon of the camp meeting was an important communicative vehicle for backwoods families. The result is evidenced by the large variety of Protestant sects and the particular brand of Protestant Christianity practiced in certain areas of the Southeastern United States. The simplicity and naturalness of the shed's open air construction and the electric spaciousness of its interior volume reflect the personality of the spirit and event that created it.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL VIEW FROM WEST SHOWING NORTHWEST AND SOUTHWEST SIDES
2. GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTH SHOWING SOUTHWEST AND SOUTHEAST SIDES AND CLERESTORY ARRANGEMENT
3. NORTHWEST FRONT AND SOUTHWEST SIDE
4. NORTHWEST ENCLOSED (FRONT) END OF MEETINGHOUSE
5. DETAIL OF SEATING AS SEEN FROM FRONT (PLATFORM) AREA OF MEETINGHOUSE
6. DETAIL SHOWING FRONT (PLATFORM) AREA AND BENCHES, WEST CORNER OF MEETINGHOUSE
7. GENERAL VIEW OF INTERIOR OF MEETINGHOUSE FROM SOUTHEAST SHOWING CLERESTORY ARRANGEMENT AND SUPPORT SYSTEM


Back to Sulphur+Springs, Tennessee