First Presbyterian Church, 154 Fifth Avenue, Nashville, Davidson County, TN
See 14 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
154 Fifth Avenue, Nashville, TN
Find maps of Nashville, TN
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TN-17
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-23).
National Register Number: 70000608
Significance: Designed by William Strickland in 1849, the First Presbyterian Church is the largest and best preserved example of an Egyptian Revival church building in America. // Designed in 1849 for the First Presbyterian Church by William Strickland, architect for the State Capitol, the building was completed in 1851. It is representative of the Egyptian style of architecture with Egyptian columns and moldings. Once Nashville's largest building, it was used as a hospital and stables during the Civil War.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. North front from northeast
2. North front from northwest
3. North front from northwest, closer
4. North fron, detail of entrance
5. West side, detail of windows
6. Interior looking south
7. Interior, detail of south wall
8. Interior looking north
Back to Nashville, Tennessee