Turnage-Young House, 196 East Court Street, Memphis, Shelby County, TN
196 East Court Street, Memphis, TN
Find maps of Memphis, TN
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS TN-172
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-56).
Significance: Constructed in 1847, by attorney R.K. Turnage, this Greek Revival brick town house with its elegant Greek Doric portico was the last surviving private structure in downtown Memphis. In the 1850s it was purchased by the Young sisters who operated it as a girls' boarding school. It had been in continuous occupation by descendants of the Youngs.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Memphis, Tennessee