Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Tennessee

>

Memphis

>

Goyer-Lee House, 690 East Adams Street, Memphis, Shelby County, TN



See 17 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1084711
General View And South (front) Elevation

HB1084712
East Elevations

HB1084713
Front Portion Of East Elevation, Showing Five-sided Room Projection And South (left) And North (right) Porches

HB1084714
South (front) Elevation

HB1084715
Detail Of East Side Of First Floor Tower Entrance

HB1084716
Detail Of Front Porch, South Elevation, From Southwest

HB1084717
Detail Of Upper Part Of Tower, Telephoto View, South (left) And East Elevations

HB1084718
Parlor, Southwest Side, First Floor

HB1084719
Parlor Fireplace And Mantel Detail, Southwest Side Of House, First Floor, Front Portion Of West Wall


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
690 East Adams Street, Memphis, TN

Find maps of Memphis, TN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS TN-171
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-57).
Significance: Construction of this house, more commonly referred to as the Lee House, spanned three decades. Begun in 1848, it was enlarged in 1853 and 1873 by Charles Wesley Goyer. With the last extension, the prosperous merchant added the Victorian front section with its ponderous tower, bracketed cornices and elaborate details. The architects for the final addition were Edward C. Jones and Mathias H. Baldwin. The house was purchased in 1890 by Captain James Lee, Jr., son of the founder of the extensive Lee Line of river steamers and packets.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL VIEW AND SOUTH (FRONT) ELEVATION. FROM SOUTHEAST
2. EAST ELEVATIONS. NOTE SUCCESSION OF ADDITIONS
3. FRONT PORTION OF EAST ELEVATION, SHOWING FIVE-SIDED ROOM PROJECTION AND SOUTH (left) AND NORTH (right) PORCHES
4. SOUTH (FRONT) ELEVATION
5. DETAIL OF EAST SIDE OF FIRST FLOOR TOWER ENTRANCE
6. DETAIL OF FRONT PORCH, SOUTH ELEVATION, FROM SOUTHWEST
7. DETAIL OF UPPER PART OF TOWER, TELEPHOTO VIEW, SOUTH (left) AND EAST ELEVATIONS
8. PARLOR, SOUTHWEST SIDE, FIRST FLOOR. VIEW TO NORTH
9. PARLOR FIREPLACE AND MANTEL DETAIL, SOUTHWEST SIDE OF HOUSE, FIRST FLOOR, FRONT PORTION OF WEST WALL


Back to Memphis, Tennessee