Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Tennessee

>

Knoxville

>

Tennessee School for the Deaf, Summit Hill Drive & Broadway, Knoxville, Knox County, TN



B&W Photos

HB1086048
Elevated View Of Complex With Main Building In Foreground

HB1086049
Arcade On Side Elevation

HB1086050
Arcade And Rear Buildings Connected By Glass Connector

HB1086051
Glass Connector And Rear Building

HB1086052
Unidentified Buildings In Complex

HB1086053
Horizontal View Showing Newly Constructed Interior,incorporating What Had Originally Been Exterior Walls

HB1086054
Vertical View Showing Newly Constructed Interior,incorporating What Had Originally Been Exterior Walls


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Summit Hill Drive & Broadway, Knoxville, TN

Find maps of Knoxville, TN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS TN-5
Building/structure dates: 1848 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1874 subsequent work
Significance: The building complex was originally constructed for the Tennessee School for the Deaf and was occupied by TSD until 1924 when the City of Knoxville purchased the complex for office use. One other major historical use occurred during the Civil War when the buildings were used as a hospital by both the Confederate and Union Armies. As an architectural complex, the initial building group is one of the few surviving major Greek Revival structures in East Tennessee and the only one in Knoxville. It is an excellent example of Provincial Greek Revival style to which has been added a variety of excellent late 19th Century building units, all carefully organized to create a strong visual harmony in terms of style, planning, massing, material and arrangement. Equally important is the siting of this complex high on a green, wooded knoll, an idyllic site well-suited to the philosophical implications of the Greek Revival Style.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Elevated view of complex with main building in foreground
2. Arcade on side elevation
3. Arcade and rear buildings connected by glass connector
4. Glass connector and rear building
5. Unidentified buildings in complex
6. Horizontal view showing newly constructed interior,incorporating what had originally been exterior walls
7. Vertical view showing newly constructed interior,incorporating what had originally been exterior walls


Back to Knoxville, Tennessee