Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Tennessee

>

Chattanooga

>

Union Depot, West Ninth Street, between Chestnut & Broad Street, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN



See 13 maps of this location


Data Pages


Item Title


Location
between Chestnut & Broad Street, Chattanooga, TN

Find maps of Chattanooga, TN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS TN-233
Significance: The original depot was used by Maj. Charles Anderson in 1861 as a hospital for Confederate troops. Later, Union troops used the depot for a hospital. The "General," the famous train of Andrew's Raid, was based here. The depot is the only building in Chattanooga built prior to the War between the States, and the only surviving building that may have been built with bricks made by slaves.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Chattanooga, Tennessee