Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

South Dakota

>

Blackhawk vicinity

>

Ellsworth Air Force Base, Rushmore Airforce Station, A.C. Warehouse Miscellaneous, 841 White Street, Blackhawk, Meade County, SD



B&W Photos

HB1079753

HB1079754

HB1079755

HB1079756

HB1079757

HB1079758

HB1079759

HB1079760

HB1079761

HB1079762

HB1079763

HB1079764

HB1079765

HB1079766

HB1079767


Item Title
BWPhotos 214427

Location
841 White Street, Blackhawk vicinity, SD

Find maps of Blackhawk, SD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS SD-21-AC
Building/structure dates: 1942 initial construction
Significance: This building possesses documented historical association with the base's initial construction, and with its operation during World War II. The building continued to be used by the base during the Cold War era beginning in the late 1940s. Rushmore Air Force Station was an early 1950s federal storage and maintenance facility for nuclear weapons. The station was a key component in the American strategy defense build-up which occurred during the early years of the Cold War.

Subjects
War (World War II)
Warehouses
Storage


Related Names
Eilbeck, Kevin, Photographer
Geiger, Lee, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Blackhawk vicinity, South Dakota