Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

South Carolina

>

Stateburg

>

Borough House, Weaving House, State Route 261 & Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, Sumter County, SC



See 13 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1046674
East (front) Facade

HB1046675
View West From Door Of Northern Room Of Weaving House, Showing Interior With Looms

HB1046676
View West From Door Of Northern Room Of Weaving House, Showing Fireplace And Remains Of Cotton Gin (the Gin Is Thought To Have Been Made Locally In The 19th Century By William Ellison, A Free Black Carpenter And Enterpreneur; See Data Pages.)

HB1046677


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
State Route 261 & Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, SC

Find maps of Stateburg, SC


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS SC-368
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N219).
National Register Number: 72001224
Significance: The Weaving (or Loom) House is a Greek Revival dependency of the Borough House plantation complex. Built of rammed earth c. 1821, the structure is one of six dependencies (in addition to portions of the main house) to be built of this material. This complex is of potential national significance because of the number of early Greek Revival structures it contains which were built of this unusual material. The Borough House complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Stateburg Historic District in 1971 and as an individual site in 1972.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
2. EAST (FRONT) FACADE
3. VIEW WEST FROM DOOR OF NORTHERN ROOM OF WEAVING HOUSE, SHOWING INTERIOR WITH LOOMS
4. VIEW WEST FROM DOOR OF NORTHERN ROOM OF WEAVING HOUSE, SHOWING FIREPLACE AND REMAINS OF COTTON GIN (The gin is thought to have been made locally in the 19th century by William Ellison, a free black carpenter and enterpreneur; see data pages.)


Back to Stateburg, South Carolina