Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

South Carolina

>

Stateburg

>

Borough House, School, State Route 261 & Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, Sumter County, SC



See 13 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1046706
May 1985

HB1046707
November 1986

HB1046708
May 1985

HB1046709
November 1986

HB1046710
November 1986

HB1046711
March 1987

HB1046712
March 1987

HB1046713
March 1987

HB1046714
May 1985

HB1046715
March 1987

HB1046716

HB1046717


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
State Route 261 & Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, SC

Find maps of Stateburg, SC


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS SC-367
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N221).
National Register Number: 72001224
Significance: The School building is a Greek Revival dependency of the Borough House plantation complex. Built of rammed earth c. 1821, it is one of six dependencies (in addition to portions of the main house) to be built of this material, and it is the only one at the site with a peripteral colonnade. This complex is of potential national significance because of the number of early Greek Revival structures it contains which were built of this unusual material. The Borough House complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Stateburg Historic District in 1971 and as an individual site in 1972.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
3. May 1985. GENERAL VIEW FROM EAST OF NORTH FACADE OF SCHOOL (View also shows courtyard with gazing globe to north of School and Weaving house at west side of courtyard. Opuntia polycantha, or 'Plains Pricklypear,' in view at left foreground.)
4. November 1986. THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF SCHOOL FROM NORTH IN AUTUMN
5. May 1985. DETAIL OF TUSCAN COLONNADE, NORTH SIDE OF SCHOOL (negative slightly reticulated)
6. November 1986. THREE-QUARTER VIEW OF SCHOOL FROM NORTHWEST IN AUTUMN
7. November 1986. WEST FACADE OF SCHOOL FROM NORTHWEST IN AUTUMN
8. March 1987. DETAIL OF WESTERN COLONNADE IN WINTER
9. March 1987. VIEW INTO WESTERN PERIPTERY OF SCHOOL FROM SOUT
10. March 1987. SOUTHWEST CORNER OF SCHOOL FROM GARDEN SOUTH OF BUILDING
11. May 1985. GENERAL VIEW OF SCHOOL FROM SOUTHEAST
12. March 1987. INTERIOR OF NORTHERN ROOM OF SCHOOL, LOOKING WEST AT MANTELPIECE


Back to Stateburg, South Carolina