Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

South Carolina

>

Stateburg

>

Borough House, Kitchen-Storehouse, State Route 261 & Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, Sumter County, SC



See 13 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB1046749
May 1985

HB1046750
March 1987

HB1046751
March 1987

HB1046752
March 1987

HB1046753
May 1985

HB1046754
May 1985

HB1046755

HB1046756

HB1046757

HB1046758


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
State Route 261 & Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, SC

Find maps of Stateburg, SC


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS SC-366
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N227).
National Register Number: 72001224
Significance: The Kitchen-Storehouse, or Summer Kitchen, is a dependency of the Borough House plantation complex. Originally built of rammed earth in 1821, it is one of six dependencies (in addition to portions of the main house) to be built of this material. This complex is of potential national significance because of the number of early Greek Revival structures it contains which were built of this unusual material. The Borough House complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Stateburg Historic District in 1971 and as an individual site in 1972.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
5. May 1985. THREE-QUARTER VIEW FROM NORTH IN SPRING
6. March 1987. THREE-QUARTER VIEW FROM WEST IN WINTER (gutter and downspout added in 1986)
7. March 1987. VIEW FROM NORTHWEST SHOWING DETAIL OF STAIR AT SOUTHWEST CORNER OF BUILDING (Main house in view in background)
8. March 1987. GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTH AT SOUTHWEST CORNER OF BUILDING SHOWING STAIRS TO PEASE ATTIC OVER STOREHOUSE
9. May 1985. VIEW FROM EAST AT SOUTH FACADE (Dry Well Shelter in background)
10. May 1985. DETAIL OF DATESTONE IN SOUTH FACADE OF STOREHOUSE


Back to Stateburg, South Carolina