Fort Frederick, Fort Frederick Boat Landing, Port Royal, Beaufort County, SC
See 15 maps of this location
Fort Frederick Boat Landing, Port Royal, SC
Find maps of Port Royal, SC
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS SC-858
Building/structure dates: 1734
Significance: Fort Frederick is the earliest documented tabby structure known in Beaufort County, and is the only fort of those built to guard the approaches of the Port Royal Sound during the British Colonial period now extant. Colonel William Rhett, who oversaw construction of defenses around Charles Town, South Carolina, presented plans and cost estimates to the Commons House of Assembly in 1726 and work was complete on the fort in 1734, at which time the builders, Messrs. Bond and Delabere, were paid. The fort was garrisoned until 1757 when Fort Lyttelton was finished. In 1785, the fort and its environs were sold to Captain James Joyner; when Joyner died in 1796, the property went to his grandson John Joyner Smith (1790-1871). By 1861, the fort lands comprised about 700 acres and the site was colloquially known as Old Fort plantation or Smith Place. The Union forces occupied the fort after the Battle of Port Royal in 1861, and the place was sold for non-payment of taxes in 1863. The United States government purchased the property. In 1949, the site was partially developed to accommodate a naval hospital.
Forts & Fortifications
Rhett, Capt. William
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Brooker, Colin, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Port Royal, South Carolina