Rocky Bottom 4-H Camp, Dining Hall, Intersection of Routes 178 & 199, Pickens, Pickens County, SC
Intersection of Routes 178 & 199, Pickens vicinity, SC
Find maps of Pickens, SC
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS SC-666-A
Building/structure dates: 1925 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1990 demolished
Significance: The dining hall of the Rocky Bottom 4-H Camp is significant because it is the only original structure left of the first permanent county 4-H Camp built in South Carolina and in the nation, and is part of the oldest existing camp of its kind in the country. Bernard Baruch, noted American financier, contributed twenty percent of the funds needed to construct the original camp in 1925. As part of the camp complex, the dining hall is a visual reminder of important events and trends in the history of Pickens County. These include the role of the 4-H club and political gatherings in this rural, agricultural, upcountry county during the early twentieth century.
Rocky Bottom Camp Of The Blind
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Pickens vicinity, South Carolina