American Screw Company, Stevens Street, Providence, Providence County, RI
Photo Caption Pages
Stevens Street, Providence, RI
Find maps of Providence, RI
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER RI-6
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-1).
Building/structure dates: 1840 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1865 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1873 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1971 demolished
Significance: This site represents a 19th century industrial complex that, at the time of documentation, was little altered by 20th century development.
Eagle Screw Company
American Screw Company
Providence Redevelopment Agency
Merritt, Louise McAllister, Field Team
Rivard, Paul E., Field Team
Prycer, Donald G., Delineator
Tilley, Laurence, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Complex looking east, Bay State building on left. Building 1 in middle, roof line and tower of building 2 visible to right, building 2 boiler house on extreme right.
2. Building 6 on left building 1 on right.
3. Building 1, addition (1869) on left.
4. Addition to building 1.
5. Addition to building 1 south west corner.
6. South east corner of building 1 addition. Bridge to building 6 visible upper right.
7. Wall of court yard building 1 addition.
8. Roof of building 1 addition showing original factory in background.
9. Building 1, tower of Bay State Mill in background.
10. South east corners of building 1 (foreground) and Bay State building (background).
11. Bay State Mill.
12. Roofs of buildings 1, (right) 6 (left) and 2 (background).
13. West side of building 2.
14. West sides of building 2 & boiler house.
15. East side of building 2.
16. Building 2 boiler house.
17. Building 6, east end of building 1 on left.
18. Building 6 on right, building 1 on left foot bridge between buildings across top of photo.
19. Roof of building 6, roof of building 2 background right.
20. Building 2 left foreground building 6, left background, Bark St. warehouse on right.
21. Complex from southeast; building 2 to left, buildings 6 and 1 in center, warehouse in right foreground, Bay State building in
22. Curved wall on3rd floor of building 1 addition.
23. Roof framing in building 1 addition.
24. Unique roof truss building 1 addition.
25. East end of 3rd building 1 3rd floor, (original)
26. Attic story of building 1 (original) elevator tower addition on right side.
27. Elevator tower building 1; elevator shaft in center.
28. 2nd floor of Bay State building.
29. 3rd floor of Bay State Building.
30. Attic story of Bay State Building.
31. stair tower of Bay State building.
32. West end, 2nd floor, building 2.
33. 3rd floor building 2.
34. Attic story building 2.
35. Boiler house for building 2.
36. 3rd floor building 6.
37. 3rd floor building 6, near executive offices.
38. Safe in executive offices building 6.
39. Framing below skylight in building 6.
40. Framing in Bark St. warehouse.
41. Photo copy plan of building 1 (original and addition)
42. Photo copy, plan of building 2 and boiler house.
Back to Providence, Rhode Island