East Greenwich, Roughly bounded by Division, Water, London, & Peir, East Greenwich, Kent County, RI
& Peir, East Greenwich, RI
Find maps of East Greenwich, RI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS RI-404
Building/structure dates: 1600 initial construction
National Register Number: 74000036
Significance: The town center of East Greenwich is significant as a concentrated, well-preserved collection of resources associated with the development of the Town of East Greenwich from its founding in the mid-seventeenth century to about 1935. Established initially as a small mercantile center to support the surrounding farms, East Greenwich grew into one of the state's leading trade and shipbuilding centers, and became the county seat of Kent County in 1750. The district contains a variety of building types and designs that reflect the various periods of the town's development and provide a wealth of information about Rhode Island's mercantile and architectural history. The East Greenwich Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Brewster, Robert, Photographer
Olausen, Stephen, Historian
Harrington, Mary Kate, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to East Greenwich, Rhode Island