Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Pennsylvania

>

Wayne

>

St. David's Church (Episcopal), Valley Forge Road (Newtown Township), Wayne, Delaware County, PA



B&W Photos

HB1006200
Historic American Buildings Survey, D.h

HB1006201
Historic American Buildings Survey, D.h

HB1006202
Historic American Buildings Survey, D.h

HB1006203
South Front And General View

HB1006204
Rear View Of Church With Added Vestry Room (with Flat Roof)

HB1006205
Enclosed Stairway Addition, West End


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
Valley Forge Road (Newtown Township), Wayne, PA

Find maps of Wayne, PA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS PA-176
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-209).
Building/structure dates: 1715 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1767 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1771 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1786 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1813 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1830 subsequent work
Significance: The small, rectangular stone Episcopal church was built from 1715 to 1717 by a Welsh-speaking congregation. It is the oldest non-Quaker church in the area and one of the earliest in the state, General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, a Revolutionary War hero, is buried in the graveyard. (For a photograph of his grave, see: St. David's Church, Grave of General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, HABS No. PA-176-B)

Subjects
Religious Services
Stone Buildings
Medical Aspects Of War


Related Names
Wayne, Gen. "Mad" Anthony
Pierce, Cromwell
Thomas, Peter
Davis, Benjamin
Nuzum, Erwin
Nuzum, William
Goode, Ned, Photographer
Anderson, Bart, Historian
McCown, Susan, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
5. Historic American Buildings Survey, D.H. Smith, Photographer, 1925 GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTH.
6. Historic American Buildings Survey, D.H. Smith, Photographer, 1925 SOUTH VIEW.
7. Historic American Buildings Survey, D.H. Smith, Photographer, 1925 STAIR AT WEST END.
8. SOUTH FRONT AND GENERAL VIEW
9. REAR VIEW OF CHURCH WITH ADDED VESTRY ROOM (WITH FLAT ROOF)
10. ENCLOSED STAIRWAY ADDITION, WEST END
11. HISTORICAL VIEW OF CHURCH WITH ENCLOSED STAIRWAY ADDITION, LOOKING NORTHWEST, 1850s. Photocopied from Henry Pleasants's book, History of Old St. David's Church, published in 1915 by John C. Winston Co. It is perhaps the earliest photograph of the church.
12. HISTORICAL VIEW OF FRONT ENTRANCE, BEFORE ADDITION OF SHELTERED PORCH, SOUTH ELEVATION, 1907. Photocopied from Henry Pleasants's book, History of Old St. David's Church, published in 1915 by John C. Winston Co.
13. HISTORICAL VIEW OF NAVE AND ALTAR, LOOKING NORTH, 1907. (Altar was at east end originally). Photocopied from Henry Pleasants's book, History of Old St. David's Church, published in 1915 by John C. Winston Co.
14. 1862 LITHOGRAPH SHOWING ST. DAVID'S CHURCH IN WINTER SCENE. Photocopied from George Smith's book, History of Delaware County, Penna., 1862


Back to Wayne, Pennsylvania