Lazaretto Quarantine Station, Marine Aviation Hangars, Wanamaker Avenue and East Second Street, Tinicum Township, Delaware County, PA
Photo Caption Pages
Wanamaker Avenue and East Second Street, Tinicum Township, PA
Find maps of Tinicum Township, PA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS PA-6659-F
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
General view, marine aviation hangars, looking northwest. Oral history has suggested that the north unit of the two surviving structures (in the background with the gable roof) was used as a repair shed by what is now the Philadelphia International Airport when it opened in 1925, and the south (doubled) unit was constructed as part of the 1926 Sesqui-Centennial Exposition.
Detail, turntable manufactured by the "Light Railway Equipment Company, Philadelphia, Penna." This device turned seaplanes ninety degrees in their movement between storage in the hangars (to the left, out of view) and the Delaware River used for take-offs and landings.
Back to Tinicum Township, Pennsylvania