Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Pennsylvania

>

Robinson

>

Town of Robinson, Robinson, Indiana County, PA



Data Pages


Item Title


Location
Robinson, PA

Find maps of Robinson, PA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS PA-5975
Building/structure dates: 1880 initial construction
Significance: Elliott Robinson was born on a farm near Robinson in 1808. He founded the town of Garfield, later called Robinson, in 1880 and in 1887 established the Garfield Fire Clay Company with his sons. In the early 20th century, the company emerged as the leader in local refractories production. The Garfield Company was distinctive with the refractories industry in the region because it continued to operate as an independent, family-run business throughout its history and was never merged with one of the national refractories companies. Robinson's descendants ran the company until the last brickyard was closed in 1979.

Related Names
Garfield Fire Clay Company


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Robinson, Pennsylvania