Clifton Heights vicinity>
Lindbergh Bridge, Marple Avenue over Darby Creek, Clifton Heights, Delaware County, PA
See 41 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Marple Avenue over Darby Creek, Clifton Heights vicinity, PA
Find maps of Clifton Heights, PA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER PA-195
Building/structure dates: 1928 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1940 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1971 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1974 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1986 subsequent work
Significance: The Lindbergh Bridge is a three span reinforced concrete bridge which was designed by the Delaware County Department of Public Works. With a main span of 259'4", it was the largest reinforced concrete arch bridge designed and built by the county. The bridge is a fine example of the twin ribbed, open spandrel, arcaded parapet structures which were being constructed during the early part of the 20th Century. The concrete lamp posts with colonial fittings were a distinctive embellishment on the bridge. The bridge was named in commemoration of Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh who, one year earlier, had completed the first solo flight of the Atlantic Ocean. At the time of consideration, adulation for Colonel Lindbergh had swept across America.
Concrete Arch Bridges
Delaware County Department Of Public Works
Lindbergh, Col. Charles A.
Carl R. Camp, Incorporated
Ransom, Christopher, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Clifton Heights vicinity, Pennsylvania