Crooked River High Bridge, Spanning Crooked River Gorge at Dalles-California , Terrebonne, Deschutes County, OR
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Crooked River Gorge at Dalles-California, Terrebonne vicinity, OR
Find maps of Terrebonne, OR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OR-35
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-19).
Part of building/structure is in Opal City vicinity, Jefferson County, OR.
Significance: Crooked River High Bridge was completed in 1926 as part of the Dalles-California Highway (U.S. 97). It was designed by State Bridge Engineer Conde B. McCullough. The bridge is a single-span steel deck arch that is 464' long and 27' wide. The main span is 330' long and consists of a double-hinged braced spandrel deck arch. Hinge pins were provided at both crown and skewbacks. The structure was designed to act under dead load as a three-hinged arch and under live load as an arch with skewback hinges only. There are 134 feet of reinforced concrete approach spans. The railing is constructed of precast concrete arches, with a cast in place cap. The structure was one of the highest bridges in the United States, at 295' from deck to streambed, when it was constructed. A high line cableway was used in the erection of the structure, rather than a traveling derrick or hoist.
Steel Arch Bridges
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. General view from south
2. Perspective view from southeast
3. General view from southwest
4. General view from north side of bridge, looking east
5. View showing Crooked River High Bridge in background and Ralph Modjeski railroad bridge in foreground
6. GENERAL VIEW OF STRUCTURE, VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST
7. GENERAL VIEW OF STRUCTURE, VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST
8. GENERAL VIEW OF STRUCTURE LOOKING EAST, WITH OVERLOOK IN FOREGROUND
9. ELEVATION VIEW OF BRIDGE, VIEW LOOKING EAST
10. APPROACH VIEW SHOWING ENTRANCE PYLONS, VIEW LOOKING NORTH
11. ONE-POINT PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF SUBSTRUCTURE
12. DETAIL VIEW OF NORTH APPROACH SPANS
13. DETAIL VIEW OF PEDESTRIAN OVERLOOK AND STONEWORK
14. DETAIL VIEW OF STAIRS AND OVERLOOK AT SOUTH APPROACH, VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST
15. DETAIL VIEW OF ENTRANCE PYLON
16. DETAIL VIEW OF DEDICATION PLAQUE FOR THE PETER SKENE OGDEN MEMORIAL PARK
17. DETAIL VIEW OF CONCRETE PYLON WITH BRIDGE DEDICATION PLAQUE
18. DETAIL VIEW OF CROOKED RIVER HIGH BRIDGE DEDICATION PLAQUE
19. DETAIL VIEW OF CONCRETE RAILING
20. DETAIL VIEW OF STONE WORK RAILING AT SCENIC OVERLOOK AT PETER SKENE OGDEN MEMORIAL PARK
Back to Terrebonne vicinity, Oregon