Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Oregon

>

Medford

>

Medford Service Center, 1319 McAndrews Road, Medford, Jackson County, OR



B&W Photos

HB997907

HB997908

HB997909


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
1319 McAndrews Road, Medford, OR

Find maps of Medford, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-160
Building/structure dates: 1937 initial construction
Significance: Structures in the Medford Service Center were built by crews of Civilian Conservation Corps and Emergency Relief Administration workers in a locally large-scale public works project during the Great Depression. Two structures at the Medford Service Center (covered storage building, building #2300; radio shop building, building #2202) were determined eligible (and subsequently listed on) the National Register of Historic Places as part of a thematic nomination of CCC-built Forest Service administrative structures. (Buildings #2300 and #2202 were evaluated as having "tertiary" ranking within a "primary/secondary/tertiary" rank system. The structures' exteriors are the historically significant portions; the interior of #2202 has been thoroughly modified since the 1950s-60s.) These buildings are two of numerous existing examples of Forest Service administrative structures associated with the Depression-era construction activities of the Federal government in the Pacific Northwest. The architectural character of the Medford Service Center is largely utilitarian, with relatively little of the consciously "rustic"-style architectural character of most other Depression-era Forest Service compounds. The three structures at the Center not listed on the National Register were found ineligible due to post-1950s exterior modifications (additionally, the interiors of #2205 and #2301 have been extensively modified since the 1950s-60s). However, because two of the five structures in the compound are listed on the National Register, all of the buildings have been included in the Historic American Buildings Survey documentation.

Related Names
Forrest, Linn A.
Gifford, Howard L.
Pollock, James
Turner, W. I.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW OF MEDFORD SERVICE CENTER AT CORNER OF McANDREWS ROAD (R.) AND POPLAR DRIVE (L.), FACING NORTHEAST.
2. VIEW OF MEDFORD SERVICE CENTER, INTERIOR OF COMPOUND SHOWING BUILDING #2301, #2500, AND #2205 (L. TO R.), FACING SOUTHEAST.
3. VIEW OF MEDFORD SERVICE CENTER, INTERIOR OF COMPOUND SHOWING BUILDINGS #2301, #2205, #2500, #2202, AND #2300 (L. TO R.), FACING SOUTHWEST.


Back to Medford, Oregon