Latourell Creek Bridge, Spanning Latourell Creek at Columbia River Highway, Latourell, Multnomah County, OR
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Latourell Creek at Columbia River Highway, Latourell, OR
Find maps of Latourell, OR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OR-24
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-11).
Building/structure dates: 1914 initial construction
Significance: Latourell Creek Bridge is a three-span reinforced concrete braced-spandrel deck arch. The braced spandrel framing is usually found only in steel deck arch construction, and is unique to this structure. At the time of its construction, it was one of the lightest concrete bridges, relative to its dimensions, in the country. This bridge established the essential form of the concrete arch that would be used in Oregon and other section of the United States.
Concrete Arch Bridges
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Perspective view from northeast
2. View of roadway from west
3. View of towers and main span from southeast
4. View of main span from south
5. Detail, underside of deck from eastern abutment
6. Perspective view of reinforced concrete and formwork from eastern abutment
Back to Latourell, Oregon