Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Oregon

>

Jacksonville

>

P. J. Ryan's Store, 135 West California Street, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR



See 20 maps of this location


Data Pages


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
135 West California Street, Jacksonville, OR

Find maps of Jacksonville, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-119
Building/structure dates: 1884 initial construction
Significance: The second brick store built by P.J. Ryan is among the latest of the surviving commercial buildings in Jacksonville. The first building on the site was a structure in which Alexander Martin and Lewis Zigler had their blacksmith shop. It was a frame building with a central doorway flanked by double-hung sash windows. The square front had a narrow cornice. The canopy across the walk had a flat roof and was supported along the street by square posts. Martin and Zigler did not own the property, however, for in 1859 James Cluggage sold the lot to P.J. Ryan, in whose ownership it continued for forty years. The present structure was built in 1884.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Jacksonville, Oregon