Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Oregon

>

Jacksonville

>

Methodist Episcopal Church, Fifth & D Streets, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR



See 20 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB990089
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E

HB990090
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E

HB990091
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E

HB990092
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E


Data Pages


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
Fifth & D Streets, Jacksonville, OR

Find maps of Jacksonville, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-104
Building/structure dates: 1854 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1858 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1888 subsequent work
Significance: The Methodist Church building, erected in 1854 by Rev. T.S. Royal, was the first church structure in Jacksonville. Prior to that time, religious services had been held wherever possible and convenient: Orange Jacobs, later a Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of Washington, reported that one service had been held in "a large building in the process of erection for a gambling-house on the opposite side of the street from the principle gambling saloon." Although the Methodists did not acquire title to the church land until 1859 -- when James Cluggage sold it to them for a nominal $1.00 - -they had already erected a building on the site. In November 1854, James McDonough and Thomas Pyle had filed a $456 lien against the Methodist Church for labor and materials "furnished in the erection and enclosing of said Building." In February of that year, Horace and Able Reed had sold Plye a kiln of bricks, which may have been for the foundation of the church.

Related Names
McDonough, James
Pyle, Thomas


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 GENERAL VIEW FROM NORTH EAST.
2. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTH EAST.
4. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 GENERAL VIEW OF INTERIOR SHOWING STOVE, CHIMNEY AND CHAMFERED POST.
5. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 DETAIL OF SPLIT LATH.


Back to Jacksonville, Oregon