Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Oregon

>

Jacksonville

>

Judge & Nunan's Saddlery, 165 East California Street, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR



See 20 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB990710
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E


Data Pages


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
165 East California Street, Jacksonville, OR

Find maps of Jacksonville, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-87
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Significance: The site of Judge and Nunan's Saddlery was part of the Union Hotel lot until C.C. Beekman took title to the land in 1858. In 1860, Beekman sold a fifty-by-two-hundred-foot lot near the middle of the block to P.J. Ryan. The deed included the provision that, if Ryan improved the land with a building, the structure would have to be stone or brick and that Beekman would have the right to attach a building to any that Ryan might build. Ryan did not build a structure on the land, however; the site appears as a vacant lot on the 1864 map of Jacksonville. In 1868, Beekman sold the lot to Louis Horne, owner of the United States Hotel, who may have planned to extend his "hall" as far as Ryan's buildings. Horne, however, sold the lot to Henry Judge and Jeremiah Nunan in 1874. The following year, Nunan bought Judge's share of the saddlery business; during this period, the value of the property rose five times, suggesting that the Judge and Nunan building was erected in 1874-5. In 1876, Nunan sold the undeveloped part of his lot -- with a frontage of about fifteen feet on California Street -- back to C.C. Beekman. The east boundary described in the deed is "the line of the West wasll of the brick building owned by Jerry Nunan" -- to which wall Beekman had the right to attach a building. This provision continued in the deed from Beekman to George and Jeanne Holt in 1878, and the Holts exercised the privilege in constructing their new brick United States Hotel.

Related Names
Judge, Henry
Nunan, Jeremiah


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1979 SOUTH (FRONT) ELEVATIONS OF CORNER OF UNITED STATES HOTEL (FAR LEFT), JUDGE AND NUNAN'S SADDLERY, P.J. RYAN'S FIRST BRICK STORE BUILDING (JACKSONVILLE INN).


Back to Jacksonville, Oregon