Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Oregon > Jacksonville > Jackson County Courthouse, North Fifth Street, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR



B&W Photos
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
HB990539
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
HB990540
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
HB990541
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
HB990542
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
HB990543
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E
HB990544
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
North Fifth Street, Jacksonville, OR

Find maps of Jacksonville, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-69
Building/structure dates: 1884 initial construction
Significance: The Jackson County Courthouse -- which now houses the Jacksonville Museum -- was constructed in 1883-84 to replace a frame structure which stood on the same site. During the early yeas of Jackson County's development, the courthouse was any building that was temporarily used for holding court; during the 1856 court term this was the Methodist Church. The County Commissioners saw the need for a building, but their only recourse was to authorize various officers to rent suitable rooms. In July 1856, they rented a building from the Reverend T.F. Royal, at the same time appointing Thomas Pyle, William G. T'Vault, and William Hoffman to recommend a location for the courthouse.

Subjects
Courthouses
Galleries & Museums


Related Names
Payne, G. E.
Holt, George
Marsh, L. P. S.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 WEST (fRONT) ELEVATION.
2. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 DETAIL OF CAPITALS, FRONT PORCH.
3. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 DETAIL OF TOWER.
4. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 VIEW OF VESTIBULE WITH DOUBLE STAIRCASE.
5. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 FIREPLACE, SOUTHWEST ROOM, FIRST FLOOR.
6. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 SECOND FLOOR COURTROOM, FROM WEST.


Back to Jacksonville, Oregon