Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Oregon

>

Jacksonville

>

Fisher Brothers Store & Bella Union Saloon, 180 & 170 West California Street, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR



See 20 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB990843
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E


Data Pages


Item Title


Location
180 & 170 West California Street, Jacksonville, OR

Find maps of Jacksonville, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-76
Building/structure dates: 1850 initial construction
Significance: The corner where the Fisher Brothers Store and the Bella Union Saloon stand is the oldest known business site in Jacksonville. Kenny and Appler opened the first store there in February 1852; by 1855, references were made to the "old Kenny and Appler Corner," indicating that it had been the site of some kind of business structure for several years. In 1856, Kenny divided the property into two lots. He sold the east half of the land "joining Mrs. Gass on the east" to James Burpee and David Linn, and mortgaged the west part of the lot to Frank Brown for $1,500, securing money to pay the mortgage by remortgaging the land to James Hamlin in March 1857. Apparently Kenny needed the money to rebuild his store, since in that same year Love and Bilger secured a mechanic's lien "upon [Kenny's] new store house situated on the corner of California and Oregon Streets" for labor, tin, solder, zinc, iron, and pipe. Kenny seems not to have been a good businessman, since he could satisfy his debt to James Hamlin only by granting him a half interest and entering into a partnership in which Kenny contributed "his skill and services as a Salesman and Clerk" in the business of "buying selling and vending all sorts of Goods, Wares and Merchandise." Even with the partnership, the business did not prosper; in February 1862, A. Fisher and Brothers purchased the business and store for $4,000 from the sheriff. The sale was to satisfy outstanding debts amounting to $4,345 in favor of Joseph Leach and against James and Eliza Hamlin, Thomas Kenny, William G. Kenny, Rhoda Kenny, the minor heirs Daniel M. Kenny (deceased) under the guardianship of William T'Vault and Elizabeth Kenny, John Woods, C.C. Beekman, and E.C. Sessions. In 1863, Fisher advertised his brick store at the corner of Oregon and California Streets. Until the 1890s, the store remained in Fisher's ownership, although he sometimes operated the business in partnership with someone else.

Subjects
Commercial Facilities
Stores & Shops
Saloons


Related Names
Fisher, A.
Breithbarth, Henry


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 SOUTH (FRONT) ELEVATION FROM SOUTH WEST.


Back to Jacksonville, Oregon