Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Oregon

>

Jacksonville

>

Anderson & Glenn Store, 125 West California Street, Jacksonville, Jackson County, OR



See 20 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB991283
Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E


Data Pages


Item Title


Location
125 West California Street, Jacksonville, OR

Find maps of Jacksonville, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-61
Building/structure dates: 1859 initial construction
Significance: John Anderson and James T. Glenn formed a partnership sometime between 1857 and 1858, and moved into the McCully Building on South Oregon Street. In January, 1859, a local newspaper announced that the partners had moved into a new fireproof brick store on California Street, presumably the present building. In 1860, James Cluggage deeded the east half of lot three in block seven to Anderson, on which the building already stood. Anderson and James T. Glenn operated a dry goods store in partnership until 1866 or 1867, when the business became Glenn, Drun and Company. In the 1870s, the business was operated as Martin and Drum, and then as White and Martin. Even after he and James T. Glenn formally dissolved their partnership in 1873, Anderson retained his interest in the property. John Anderson died between 1873 and 1877. In 1877 Elizabeth Anderson, his widow, sold the building "known as the Brick Store formerly occupied by Anderson and Glenn" to Louis Solomon. P.J. Ryan's leases for his adjoining store refer to the brick store of Louis Solomon next door.

Related Names
Anderson, John
Glenn, James T.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Jack E. Boucher, Photographer August, 1971 STREETSCAPE SHOWING NORTH (fRONT) ELEVATIONS OF ANDERSON AND GLENN STORE (FAR LEFT), P.J. RYAN'S STORE, SCHUMPF AND MILLER STORE.


Back to Jacksonville, Oregon