Steamboat Stampmill, Brush Creek Canyon, Jacksonville, Yamhill County, OR
Photo Caption Pages
Brush Creek Canyon, Jacksonville vicinity, OR
Find maps of Jacksonville, OR
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER OR-57
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N358).
Significance: The historic significance of the Steamboat Stampmill structure lies in: (1) its direct association with historic gold mining activities in southwestern Oregon in general and in the Steamboat Mountain mining district in particular (with the building's period of historic significance dating from the immediate pre-World War I years through the "Depression mining era" of the 1930s); and (2) its character as an example of a large, simply but ingeniously constructed building used to shelter gold ore-milling operations. The mill was built in a remote and rugged area of the Siskiyou Mountains, largely with native materials (e.g., peeled Douglas-fir poles for framework, hand-split sugar pine shakes for roofing), and probably by a crew of fewer than a half-dozen workers. The Steamboat Stampmill building exemplifies the utilitarian workmanship and "self-reliance" used by the typically small-scale lode mining operations of southwestern Oregon. It is one of the few stampmill structures that remains standing in this region.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW TO NORTHEAST FROM SPUR-RIDGE OF STEAMBOAT MOUNTAIN, SHOWING ROOF OF STAMPMILL STRUCTURE IN LOWER-CENTER.
2. VIEW OF SOUTHEAST ELEVATION FROM SPUR ROAD TO ORE-BIN LEVEL.
3. VIEW TO SOUTHWEST FROM ORE-SLED/TRUCK ACCESS ROAD, SHOWING ORE-RECEIVING (UPPERMOST) LEVEL.
4. VIEW TO NORTHEAST OF UNDERSIDE OF ORE-RECEIVING LEVEL, CONSTRUCTION DETAIL.
5. VIEW TO NORTHEAST SHOWING 'GRIZZLY/ORE CHUTE' LEADING DOWN FROM ORE-RECEIVING LEVEL TO ORE-BIN.
6. VIEW OF CONSTRUCTION DETAILS ON NORTHWEST SIDE OF ORE-BIN.
7. VIEW OF CONSTRUCTION DETAILS ('SHAKE-OVER-POLE') ON INTERIOR OF NORTHWEST SIDE, IMMEDIATELY ABOVE ORE-BIN.
8. VIEW TO NORTH OF INTERIOR OF STAMPMILLING LEVEL; MORTAR MOUNT FOR MILL IS IMMEDIATELY BELOW AND TO LEFT OF ORE-HOPPER (UPPER-CENTER).
9. VIEW TO EAST OF STAMPMILLING LEVEL (UPPER-LEFT CENTER) AND COLLAPSED STRUCTURE OF AMALGAMATION LEVEL (LOWER-RIGHT).
10. VIEW OF 'BULL WHEEL,' NEXT TO ORE-BIN (ORIGINAL LOCATION UNKNOWN).
Back to Jacksonville vicinity, Oregon