Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Oregon > Eugene > University of Oregon, Villard Hall, Uiversity of Oregon Campus, Eugene, Lane County, OR



See 20 maps of this location


B&W Photos
Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer December, 1951 East Elevation.
HB988112
Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer December, 1951 East Elevation.
Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer May, 1955 East Entrance.
HB988113
Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer May, 1955 East Entrance.
Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer May, 1955 Exterior Detail.
HB988114
Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer May, 1955 Exterior Detail.


Data Pages


Item Title


Location
Uiversity of Oregon Campus, Eugene, OR

Find maps of Eugene, OR


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS OR-50
Building/structure dates: 1886 initial construction
National Register Number: 72001082
Significance: The second building of the University of Oregon. Its name perpetuates the gifts of Henry Villard to the University at a time of financial crisis. Architecturally, it is a distinguished example of the Second Empire style - chronologically somewhat late for its time. The designer, Warren H. Williams, was one of Oregon's most prominent practitioners and his noble, rather squat building for the University sums up much of the mansarded design of the 1870s and early 1880s. More elaborate than Deady Hall nearby, it is one of the few remaining academic buildings of this ear at any western American campus. Dedicated in 1886, the building has suffered grievous interior revision but is exteriorly elegant.

Subjects
Second Empire Architectural Elements
Colleges & Universities


Related Names
Villard, Henry
Williams, Warren Heywood
Abrams, W. H.


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer December, 1951 EAST ELEVATION.
2. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer May, 1955 EAST ENTRANCE.
3. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marion Dean Rose, Photographer May, 1955 EXTERIOR DETAIL.


Back to Eugene, Oregon